prep: 5 minutes with 12-18 hour rise
cook: 45 min
cool: eat right away
+3 cups all-purpose flour
+1 3/4 tsp salt
+1/2 tsp active dry yeast
+1 1/2 cups water room temperature
+ 5 quart Dutch Oven (we love Milo!)
1. Form the dough: In a large bowl mix the flour, salt and yeast together. Pour water into the bowl and using a spatula or a wooden spoon mix it until well incorporated.
NOTE: You do not need to activate the yeast before, even though we’re using active dry yeast. The slow rising process will do the trick.
It is best to alternate the salt and flour, so the salt is separated from the yeast. Allowing for the dough to rise.
2. Allow your dough to rise: Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit on your counter or inside your unheated oven for 12 to 18 hours.
3. Preheat your oven: Preheat oven to 450 F degrees. Add your Dutch Oven Pot to the oven as it’s heating and heat it as well until it’s at 450 F degrees. Usually when the oven is done preheating your pot should be hot enough as well. Remove the pot from the oven and remove the lid from it. Use oven mitts, as to not burn yourself.
4. Shape the dough: Flour your hands really well and also sprinkle a bit of flour over the dough. With your floured hands gently remove the dough from the bowl and roughly shape it into a ball. Sprinkle some extra flour directly into the bottom of the pot. Take the ball of dough and drop it into the pot. Cover the pot with the lid and place it back in the oven. Alternatively, you can also place the ball of dough onto a piece of parchment paper, then lift the parchment paper and drop it in the pot, with parchment paper and all. This could also ensure that your bread doesn’t stick at all to the bottom of the pot. I have found that if I use parchment paper, the bread doesn’t brown so much on the sides, but otherwise it’s still crusty and delicious.
5. Finish the bread: Bake for 30 minutes with the lid on, after which remove the lid and bake for another 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Remove the bread from the pot, it should fall out easily. Let cool, then slice and serve!